I’ve been in a car accident. What should I do?
Accidents can happen when we least expect or need. If you have recently been in a car accident, it is important that you contact an experienced car accident attorney to discuss your legal options. There are a few steps that you should follow if you have been injured in a car, motorcycle, or truck accident:
- Get the full name, address, and insurance information of everybody involved in the accident (including passengers and witnesses)
- Take pictures of all persons and vehicles
- Double check all the information entered in any document or report produced by the police
- Report the accident to your insurance company, without admitting fault
- Do not admit fault to anybody at the accident scene
- Personal injuries might not be immediately apparent after an accident. It is best to seek medical help as soon as possible
What kinds of damages can I claim for car accident injuries?
If car accident injuries have impacted your life or the lives of those closest to you, you may be entitled to different types of damages in a personal injury lawsuit. Among the possible claims are:
- Medical bills and hospitalization costs
- Loss of wages, earnings, and income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress, loss of affection or companionship
- Future care costs
- Damage to vehicles and properties
What kind of vehicle accidents do you represent?
Our law firm represents accidents involving any type of vehicle including:
- Individual and business cars
- Public buses
- Uber and Lyft vehicles
- Taxi cabs and limousines
Do you charge by the hour?
No. We handle all vehicle accident and personal injury cases on what is called “contingency” or "no win-no pay" basis. This means if we not win the case on your behalf, we do not collect a fee. This is a good system for our clients, since we handle all the expenses of the injury litigation process.
Who can be liable for my injuries?
Depending on the type of accident and the general circumstances surrounding your injuries, there are numerous parties that you may be able to hold liable in a personal injury lawsuit. These include:
- Car drivers
- Large truck drivers
- Property owners
- Vehicle and equipment manufacturers or vendors
An experienced car accident attorney may be able to point out other persons whose negligence or misconduct may have contributed to your injuries and help you hold them accountable and liable for damages in a civil court in Pasco, Florida.
How much insurance do I need to have on my car?
In Florida, under the Personal Injury Protection Benefits (PIP) law you are required to have $10,000 in PIP insurance. This insurance covers the insured for up to 80% of injuries and 60% of lost wages in the event of an accident, regardless of fault. Under the PIP law, you must seek medical care within 14 days of your accident; otherwise, you automatically waive all your rights to PIP benefits. Furthermore, even if you seek prompt medical care, the PIP law benefits might not be enough to cover all your medical care costs, loss of wages, and will not compensate for property damage, pain and suffering, and other damages you could be entitled to.
We are lawyers that focus exclusively on car accidents in Pasco County, Florida. We are experienced at handling car and other motor vehicle accident claims and cases in Pasco County. We know how to successfully handle complex cases starting from the insurance claim, all the way through trial. If you have questions about your case, please contact us for a free consultation to discuss your options.